Tuesday, March 6, 2012

My Weight Loss Journey

I have been told repeatedly that I should be blogging my weight loss journey (among other topics) and so I finally decided to give it a try.  I still don't completely understand how all this blogging stuff works, but I suppose I'll figure it out as I go along.  Bear with me!

As of today, I have lost 35 lbs in 17 weeks.  I'm down 6 jean sizes and feel better than I have felt in years!  So how did I get here?  Well, it's an interesting story.

My 13 year old daughter, Rachel, and I were driving in the car one day talking about the TV show The Biggest Loser.  Rachel's passion is cooking, fitness, diet and nutrition, so she loves watching that show and getting inspiration and ideas.  As she was telling me about how much weight a particular contestant had lost, I made the defensive remark that those people are losing weight the easy way because they have someone telling them what to eat, cooking for them, etc.  She shot back, "So are you saying you could lose weight if you had someone cooking for you?"  Figuring there was absolutely no risk in answering yes, since a personal chef wasn't exactly in our budget, I emphatically stated I could.  Then it happened.  She said it.

"Fine, I'll cook for you."

Now that, I was not expecting.  So I did what anyone would have done; I called her bluff, er, what I thought was her bluff.  We made a deal in the car that day.  She would cook for me and I could only eat what she either put in front of me, or what she approved of ahead of time if I were going out.  Since I didn't really think this would last more than a week or two, if that long, I readily agreed.  Once the rest of the family heard about the deal, they started watching me like a hawk and found great pleasure in reporting any deviations on my part to Rachel.  With the threat of "I'm going to stop cooking for you if you don't stick with the deal" hanging over my head, I quickly took the whole thing as seriously as she was, and we were on our way.

While people are quick to congratulate me on my weight loss, it's hard to take the credit.  Rachel has been faithfully cooking for me, three meals a day, for the past 17 weeks.  I have learned more about nutrition and healthy eating from my 13 year old during this time, than in any other time in my life.  So now, while the weight loss journey is continuing, the cooking torch is being passed, and I am slowly taking over my own cooking.

There is much more to story, including the details of the diet I am on, and the exercise portion of the journey.  But, for now, that's the backstory to the unfolding story.  I still have a long ways to go, but am so encouraged by how far I've come.  And I can honestly say, I couldn't have done this without my 13 year old daughter.  So, way to go, Rachel!  XXOO

3 comments:

  1. What a great intro! Awesome stuff .. keep it up Rachel ... Uh, i mean, Vicki! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! You both have done a tremendous job! I am so excited for you! You both amaze me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha I love it! Way to go Rachel for calling your bluff and cooking all those meals. ;)
    SIX jean sizes though?!?! Wow that is incredible. Fantasic job!!! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete