Saturday, March 24, 2012

5K...DONE!

     I feel like a poster child for a “Couch to 5K” commercial!  In January I ran my first quarter mile and today I finished a 5K.  Wow…just wow.  Such a great feeling.  I have to admit, I’m already excited for the next race! 
      After I ran my first 3-mile run at the lake a couple weeks ago, Rachel started pushing to run the Race for Autism 5K.  I was hesitant at first, but after I ran the second 3-mile run, I decided to go for it.  I never looked at it as a “race”.  I just wanted to run the whole thing.  Mentally, I kept telling myself this was no different than going to the lake, as I usually do.   It was different though.  You could feel the energy from the crowds.  It kept me going and made it, dare I say it, fun.  It was a bit of a stressful run however, as shortly after I started, I looked down at my iphone arm band, which also holds my car key, and the car key was gone!  I was too far to go back and with the crowds behind me, there would have been no way to retrace my exact steps.  I just prayed that the key would be in the grass area where we started, or that someone turned it in to a lost and found.  With that on my mind, I was a bit distracted, and kept running through different scenarios if I couldn’t find the key.  In hindsight, it might have been a good thing, in a really weird way.  I was doubly motivated to cross that finish line, as I really wanted to start looking for the stupid key! 
            Crossing the 3-mile checkpoint was a definite highlight.  The Finish Line was in sight and I wasn’t as exhausted as I thought I’d be.  I picked up speed, as everyone does once the Finish Line is in sight, and as I glanced ahead, I saw Rachel waiting for me on the sidelines.  That was pretty cool.  =)  The second I crossed the Finish Line, I went back to where we started, and in God’s good providence, found the key in the grass.  It was a bit matted down, clearly being stepped on a few times, but it was there!  I don’t think it was until after I picked up the key, that I truly was able to take in the thrill of the moment.  I went from “couch to 5K” in two months time.  While I really don’t have a desire to increase my distance, I am now setting goals related to time.  It would be nice to get to a respectable enough time to be able to run with people.  I came in at exactly 12 minute miles.  I’m anxious to see how the next race goes!

(Mommy of 9 t-shirt, compliments of my father-in-law.  Side note:  he bought it for me about three years ago, but I was never able to wear it because "it was too small".  Not "I was too big", but the shirt "was too small".  Now that I can finally wear the shirt, I can say, "I couldn't wear it before, because I WAS TOO BIG!")

2 comments:

  1. Wow, Vicki! Praise God! He is so good to us and what an inspiration and encouragement you are to so many because of your faithfulness to keep at something that is hard and seemed impossible. I wish to run just hearing you run the 5K, but God has other plans. (I popped both my ankle before college and chose to quit running so I can walk today - advice of my physical theripist.) So please keep up the running and know I am cheering you on. The high of running is incredible and what I miss most. My most peaceful and exciting prayer time has been on my long run workout when I first come to Christ! Keep on my friend and praise the Lord!
    Love,
    Sheree

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an inspiring post. I should be working, but once I started reading I couldn't quit. I have copied 4 of your recipes and hope to start making them soon. The exercise is what I'm missing, but intend to SLOWLY start that too.
    Praise God for your success....you look great and certainly are an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete