Monday, April 16, 2012

Mental Obstacles


While the bulk of most diets can be summarized as “eat less, move more”, there is another aspect to dieting that is often overlooked; the mind.  I’ve had to overcome several mental obstacles so far in this journey, and am still trying to get my head around others.  It’s amazing how many pre-conceived ideas I had about what’s “normal” or “right” as it relates to food, and how those ideas have contributed to my inability to lose weight in the past.  So the below are my top 5 Mental Obstacles to Overcome.  Maybe you can relate to some of these.

1.  If I eat less, I'll lose more

Not necessarily true.  Once you find your healthy calorie goal (if using Myfitnesspal, this is calculated for you), it is important to eat all those calories.  Going under your calories on a regular basis will cause your metabolism to slow way down, conserving the energy it gets from the reduced calories you are giving it.  While there is much controversy in nutritional circles about the validity of Starvation Mode (and about every other topic that has to do with diet and nutrition), it is agreed on both sides that by eating too few calories, your body will start to store the fat because it doesn't  think you are going to give it anything.  In short, it’s counterproductive. 

2.  As long as I don't exceed my calories, it doesn't matter what I eat

Definitely not true.  I’ve talked about this under the post “About Percentages” (http://busymomofnine.blogspot.com/2012/04/about-percentages.html).  In summary, no 1200 calories are alike.  If you aren’t watching the protein/carb/fat numbers as well, you will likely not lose much weight.

3.  Certain foods are only consumed for certain meals or at certain times

Okay, this one is tough for me.  Especially when it comes to snacks.  To me, a snack is a small, relatively tasty treat.  “Tasty” being defined as sweet or salty.  However in order to get the amount of protein I need, and not exceed my carbs, my snacks have taken on a radical transformation.  On some days, a stir-fried chicken breast, cut into strips, is my “snack”.  At first it seemed as though I were violating some sort of written code on the integrity of snack foods.  A chicken breast was a “meal”, not a “snack”.   Here is where I’ve had to re-look at the purpose of the food I eat.  It’s fuel, not comfort.  So the question changes from, “What sounds good?” to, “What does my body need?”  Depending on how my food diary looks for that day, my body may need a big boost of protein, with no carbs.  A chicken breast is a quick and easy solution.  For me, replacing the word “snack” with “mid-morning food” and “afternoon food” helps in the mental game.    

However, this also extends to other meals.  Eggs, for example, to me, are a breakfast food.  And you eat them with things like sausage, or bacon, or toast, or in a scramble with some veggies thrown in.  So on one day when I was low on carbs, partially because I didn’t have any with breakfast, Rachel suggested I have oatmeal with them.  I thought she was nuts.  “I can’t have oatmeal with eggs.  That’s like two completely different meals.  You have oatmeal on oatmeal days, and eggs on egg days.  Having them together is just weird.”  Sigh.  Another mental obstacle.  Go back to the relevant question:  What does my body need?  Pick a food that fills that need.  There’s no “right” food for the time of day.

4.  If I cheat, I might as well blow off that day and start fresh tomorrow

Cheats happen.  Move on.  Right then, move on.  You ate it, you shouldn’t have.  Cut something from lunch or dinner to compensate a bit, but keep going.  One cheat is bad enough.  Don’t add multiple cheats to it and make it even worse. 

5.  I can never cheat, or I'll never get back on track

The reality is there will be some times in life when you will eat things you normally would not eat.  Many factors are at play here.  Some of them are just plain courtesy.  If you are invited to somebody’s house for dinner, don’t panic and bring your own food.  Just eat what they have graciously prepared for you, in moderation of course.  When you are out and about and aren’t able to get home as planned to make whatever you are scheduled to eat, just do your best.   You can fix it later.  It’s not the end of the world.  While you are on a diet, life is still moving forward.  Everything and everyone doesn’t cater to you and your diet.  Don’t think of these times as “cheats” as much as times you are being “flexible”.   Conversely, don’t look at them as times to just go for it and blow it big!  Flexibility and moderation are the key.


Two more pounds gone.  After a week of no loss, that was very exciting!   Another before/in progress picture below.  I’m trying to remember to take pictures of food to post some recipes.  Hopefully I’ll get those up later this week.






3 comments:

  1. Haha, I had to laugh at your oatmeal with eggs conversation. It's true, after awhile, you don't think of that as being different.
    Great points...so true! I love seeing your pictures side by side. That outfit you're wearing in your current one is adorable. Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go Vickie go!!! You are looking great. What percentages are you using for your protein, carbs, and fat? Body pump Thursday?
    Joline

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Becca! I just bought that outfit on Saturday. I haven't worn light colored slacks in over 18 years!

    Joline, thank you! I'm doing 35/35/30 at the moment. I keep playing around with them. But lost 2 lbs last week on those, so keeping them for now. I went to the Total Body Challenge class with Kim tonight. Tough class!!! Afternoon and evenings are harder for me to get to the gym, so I'm only doing the Monday class for now. I usually go at 6:30 am, and that works better for me, at least during the school year. Any chance of you making the Monday class???

    ReplyDelete