Thursday, January 10, 2013

New Year, New Beginnings


Well I was waiting to lose what I gained through the holiday season before posting another entry, but then I thought that was probably cheating and I should be real and just admit that I gained 5 pounds .  I’ve lost two of them and am hoping the other three disappear shortly so I can at least be where I was back in November.  I’m still 28 pounds away from goal and working hard to hit my goal weight in 2013.

I knew I was going to need to do something different and motivating to get back on track and, on a whim, threw out the idea on Facebook of starting an online support/encouragement group for weightloss and/or exercise goals.  I now feel like I’m starting a new chapter in my weightloss journey, only this time with a great group of friends who are there to encourage and challenge me along the way.  It was exactly what I needed and I feel like I’m back on the right track with more motivation than ever. 

After a year of counting calories and tracking macros (protein/fats/carbs), I  think I’m finally getting the hang of it.  =p  I can pretty much gauge my meals calorie and macro-wise (as long as I’m cooking it), which makes the meal planning much easier.  I know that if I have a certain breakfast, I will need to cut the potato at lunch, or if I’m craving a peanut butter protein shake (which is pretty much always), I am going to have to pass on the morning snack.  Knowing these things off the top of my head is exciting to me because it means that I have truly learned some things this past year about diet and nutrition.  If you knew me well before all this, you would understand why that excites me.  It’s never too late to learn!

Below is one of my favorite lunches.  Easy to make (all in the electric skillet), and doesn’t take too much time.  You could substitute the brussel sprouts for any green vegetable, and add mushrooms, onions, or anything else that falls into the “practically calorie-free” category (of which I have a list, as everyone should!).



Use a 5 oz red potato.  Cut into strips.  Spray Pam on one side of the electric skillet.  The potatoes take the longest to cook, so put them in first thing.  Sprinkle with a dash of Lawry’s Seasoning Salt (or other “better for you” seasoning salt.  Lawry’s is a bit of a weakness of mine), and some parsley.  After the potatoes have about a 5 minute head start, spray the other end of the electric skillet with Pam and put the vegetables in.  Sprinkle with no more than 1 tbl. Balsamic Vinegar.  After another 5 or 10 minutes of both of those cooking, add 22 pieces of the Kirkland brand Tail-off Shrimp.  Take the potatoes out, stir the shrimp and vegetables together, just to heat the shrimp up and give it the flavor of everything else in the pan. 
Calories:  296. (You could easily add a salad to this for just a handful of calories more)

I currently have “runners knee” and am unable to run, which kills me.  And the fact that it “kills me” is hilarious, considering last January I was working on trying to get a consistent walking schedule down, with absolutely no thought of ever in this life being a runner.  After much Googling and talking to runners, I decided to take all of January off and, Lord willing, will start up again in February.  In the meantime, I’m at the gym six days a week doing various cardio machines and strength training.  Anxious to see how that first run on February 1st goes!

Below is a “then and now” picture of me with my first grandson, Elliott, two years later.  Love that kid to pieces!



Wishing you all a happy new year, and hoping you too will hit your weight and exercise goals in 2013! 

2 comments:

  1. I would LOVE to join your fb weight loss support group if I may! I have been frustrated trying to lose my last 20-25 pounds, going up and down and up again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Send me your email (or email me vicki.stormoen@gmail.com) and I'll send you all the info. It runs in two months increments. You can join or quit every two months. So the next joining time would be March 1.

    ReplyDelete