Thursday, May 3, 2012

A Change in Attitude


A strange phenomenon is taking place.  I’ve been hesitant to say it out loud because I don’t want to jinx it, but, truth be told, I am starting to enjoy working out.  (I’m never going to hear the end of this from my family members).  I’m not sure when the change in attitude started, but I definitely no longer have the dread of the next workout  that I formerly had.  In fact, I kinda, sort of, just a little bit, even look forward to it.  =O

I’ve been on a pretty regular six days per week workout schedule for the past couple of months.  I run every other day, and go to the gym on the other days.  I rest on Sundays.  The runs are going great.  I run 3 miles for two of the days and work on time goals.  The third run is untimed and I’m slowly adding quarters to it.  I’m at 3.5 now.   The timed runs are going ahead of my goals.  I ran the first 5K at 12 minute miles.  I wanted to be at 11 minute miles by the 4th of July 5K (which I just signed up for last week).  But my runs are pretty consistently under 11 minute miles now, so I may push for 10 between now and then.  (Notice the completely non-committal “may”, thus leaving me an out if I don’t make it).

I don’t know how long this non-aversion to exercise will last, but I am enjoying it for now.  This is a definite first for me.  And it feels great!

Recipes



Rachel made these pancakes last weekend and they were so good!  I just had to post the recipe.  They are now our Saturday post-run breakfast.  I have three, with ¼ cup Pure Maple Syrup, and add two scrambled eggs to it, since the pancakes are so low in calorie.

Gluten-free Apple Cinnamon Pancakes
1 ¼ - 1 ½ oat flour
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
1 c. apple juice
1/3 c. apple sauce
1 egg
1 tsp cinnamon
2 tbl of melted coconut oil

Mix dry ingredients in one bowl, wet in the other.  Then mix together.  Spray bottom of skillet with a cooking spray (I use Olive Oil), and spoon out in ¼ cup servings.  Each pancake is about 70 calories.  Makes roughly 14 pancakes.




And I have found my new “candy”.  Peanut Butter Protein Balls.  Where have these been all my life?!

1 scoop chocolate protein powder (I use Isoflex)
¾ cup Kirkland Organic Creamy Peanut Butter
¼ cup honey
½ cup dry rolled oats

Mix into balls and freeze on a plate of wax paper.  Once frozen, move to a ziplock bag.  Remove from bag a few minutes to unthaw before eating.  Makes 14 balls. 1 ball = 122 calories
(If you are using Myfitnesspal, it is on the database as Stormoen Protein Balls)

Peanut butter and chocolate!  It’s like heaven in a ball!

45 pounds gone.  I finally cleaned out my closet and seriously have very few clothes left in there!  But since I don’t want to stay in this size very long, I’m just making do and waiting for a whole new wardrobe when I get to where I want to be.  Now that’s motivating!

2 comments:

  1. vicki, how big is a scoop of protein powder? I want to try to paleo-fy this recipe using cacoa powder (instead of the proetin powder) almond butter (for PB), and coconut for the oats. They sound great and I think I could tailor them to what I need.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Karen! It's a 30g scoop, which is roughly 1.1 ounces. Hope you have more discipline than me when it comes to these things! I could eat the whole batch in one sitting!! =O

    ReplyDelete